Behold the bullet point post:
- I wish I’d had the insight to make this blog anonymous – there are things I feel like saying but because people I know read Charlotte’s Web, I won’t. I shall blurt internally and hope not to damage any organs.
- I had a job interview this week. The first in 10 years. It was rigorous and interesting and made me realise things about myself. See above.
- The Times published its 100 Best Books of the Decade today, leaving out notables such What I loved by Siri Hustvedt, We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver and The March by EL Doctorow. I have read 33 of the 100 books and, finding myself ridiculously well-read, shall only read genre fiction from henceforth. Anyone want to lend me their copy of Twilight?
- I am feeling anxious about my brief trip to South Africa without my family at the end of December. See bullet point 1.
- I plan to write the last third of draft two before the end of the month. That is also making me anxious.
- I submitted a test-query to the Queryshark a couple of weeks ago and it’s not up yet. Ditto anxious.
- While eating chocolate cake is good in and of itself, it neither cures anxiety nor writes chapters for you.
- Neither does reading agents’ and publishers’ blogs and hanging out at writers’ colonies.
- It’s time to channel the anxiety and take it where it needs to go: into Chapter 16 and the protagonist’s crisis.
Farewell, dear blog friends. I hope to return in paragraphs, free of anxiety and with Chapter 16 done and dusted.