One of the posts that consistently gets hits here is 10 Things I Love About Germany. It contains reference to cake, walking, coffee shops and great holidays. Today, while sitting in a coffee shop and eating Schwaebsiche Apfelkuchen, I asked my children what they love about Germany, and this is what they came up with:
1. Berlin. The best city in the world, even better and prettier than London (where two of them were born).
2. Swimming in the summer and skiing in the winter.
3. The coffee shops serve very LARGE slices of cake.
4. Being able to speak two languages.
5. Lots of Italians live in Germany, so you get really good pizza and extra good ice-cream.
6. Having lots of friends who speak different languages (English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, Greek).
7. Going ice-skating in winter.
8. Our friends P and M who are kind and funny and let us sleep over at their house.
(Please note that the grown-ups love P and M too, for exactly the same reason.)
9. Kika – the children’s TV channel.
(The grown-ups love Kika too. It is advert-free and age-appropriate.)
10. There are lots of different sports you can do – cycling, walking, skiing, swimming, gymnastics.
Germany – the land of outdoor living, great food, wonderful friends and big cake. How can you not love it?