I started to write a post about why Hilary Mantel absolutely has to win the Booker Prize because her novel Wolf Hall is the best thing I’ve read all year, and she deserves it and I once used to live in the same block as her but never met her only her husband in the parking lot with the Sainbury’s bags, but I have run out of the words. I can only say this:
Wolf Hall is great.
Mantel deserves to win.
Now that I have lured you in with promise of literary explication you will be dazed/angry/amused to find that this post is in fact a meme. All my brain cells are being used to write my novel at the moment, and while I plan to write book reviews and many other things, all I am really up for is a little narcissistic Internet sport. Muchos gracias to Dad Who Writes who supplied me with the material only this morning. Had he not, this post would have had to wither on the vine, and the dust bunnies would continue to blow through the wasteland of this blog (see? I’m doing lit-er-rary).
Here’s the deal:
OK, the rules of this award are that I now have to say 10 honest things about myself, and then tag 7 bloggy friends who I think are honest and true with what they have to say. Sigh. The hard part. OK, first things first. 10 honest things. This might be difficult, because I think you all know everything already. I mean, isn’t that what the award is about, being honest and spilling my guts?
Here are the 10 honest things:
1. I am looking for a full-time job.
2. I really don’t want to live in the Burg anymore.
3. For the last two years, all I wanted to do was live in Berlin. Now I am happy with the idea of Heidelberg.
4. I am really tired of random “mummy talk” except with people I really like and whose children I care about. Tell me about your new boots, for God’s sake, or a great book you just read.
5. When my daughter plays songs from High School Musical on her recorder, it makes me cry. With happiness.
6. I am eight days into a two-week no-coffee, no-alcohol liver detox. I think it is making me grumpy. And affecting my brain cells.
7. I get squeaks of panic when I think about all the books I’ve read that I have not entered in my Books 2009 page nor reviewed here.
8. My children are trying to persuade me that we need a pet. The line, “But I already have three pets” is no longer working.
9. I am a covert low-carber. You cannot believe how many green vegetables I have to eat. I even have salad for breakfast.
10. I believe that Hilary Mantel should, must and will win the Booker Prize this year. If she doesn’t, I will eat a potato.
I’m wimping out and not tagging. Please feel free – if you believe yourself to be honest and true, or, if like me, you are in need of some not overly challenging blog material – to tag yourself.
And remember: vote Hilary!