Stolen from Queen Emily, who is mining a rich source of memes in that wonderful place we like to call Facebook, here is the meme of Firsts. The rules are simple and since it is 05.34am, I need simple:
…. 25 Firsts …. Share
1. Who was your first prom date? Growing up in South Africa = no proms. However, I did take a rather lovely young naval officer called Lance to my Matric ball. We had a very romantic relationship that lasted, oh, about three weeks.
2. Do you still talk to your first love? You mean the one I dumped so that I could take Lance to the ball? Er, no.
3. What was your first alcoholic drink? I can’t remember. It’s a bit of a haze. Possibly a very sweet and cheap white wine.
4. What was your first job? Voters’ roll registration in a local shopping mall.
5. What was your first car? A blue Toyota bakkie that my father allowed me to take to Cape Town with my learner’s license on condition that I would always take care to have a licensed driver in the car. Did I? Hell no. Cue lots of illegal driving. On reflection, I really don’t think that was a wise parenting decision on his part, but then, he trusted me.
6. Who was the first person to text you today? Someone who doesn’t know me, because everyone who does, knows email is my friend and SMS is my enemy.
7. Who is the first person you thought of this morning? I woke at 04.55 feeling very sorry for myself, having had asthma and short breath all night.
8. Who was your first grade teacher? Mrs Ross, elderly, sweet and cuddly.
9. Where did you go on your first flight in a plane? Cape Town.
10. Who was your first best friend and do you still talk? Dani, and you bet we talk. Good morning, honey!
11. Where was your first sleepover? At Dani’s house. Her parents were very open and welcoming, and over the 12 years of our schooling, there were periods when I practically moved in. They provided a wonderful, stable home environment for me when my own home was falling apart.
12. Who was the first person you talked to today? Two of my darling children.
13. Whose wedding were you in for the first time? I had a starring role in my uncle Chris’s wedding at the age of three.
14. What was the first thing you did this morning? Got up and had a toke of my asthma pump.
15. What was the first concert you went to? Johnny Clegg and Savuka.
16. First tattoo? Ain’t got none.
17. First piercing? Ears only. I’m not the piercing generation.
18. First foreign country you went to? I landed in Rome and spent the day there en route to England.
19. First movie you remember seeing? Lassie, where I started a long history of bawling my eyes out during films.
20. What state did you first live in? The then South African province of Natal, now known as KwaZulu-Natal.
21. Who was your first room-mate? At my university residence, which we fondly called Fuller Hell, we had single rooms, but I was next-door to Isa, who is my dear friend to this day.
22. When was your first detention? I don’t remember. It clearly wasn’t a trauma.
23. If you had one wish what would it be? Right now, it would be to be able breathe properly. However, on a grander scale, I’d like to see the end of automatic male privilege. What an interesting world that would be.
24. What is one thing you would learn, given the chance? How to dance.
25. Who will be the next person to post this? No idea, but have fun doing it.