As a loyal subject of the Queen o’ Memes, I have to obey when she tags me, otherwise it’s off with my head.
Here, most obediently then, is my Rando-Meme of Seven (More) Facts About Me:
1. In 1985, I did a school project for Biology on HIV and AIDS. Twenty-three years later, I am writing a novel in which one of my characters is an AIDS worker. In those intervening years, 25 million people have died of AIDS and people are still getting infected, and still dying. History will not be kind to the pharmaceutical companies who kept the price of ARVs artificially high and the governments who were slow to react in getting treatment to people, while dallying with AIDS denialists. And I’m talking about you, Thabo Mbeki.
2. Star Wars leaves me cold, but I used to loved Star Trek. I thought Captain Kirk was quite sexy.
3. I read The Times, The Guardian, The Independent and The Mail & Guardian online, and my favourite reading in all four is Mariella Frostrup’s agony column, in which she lambastes people for their idiotic life-choices. It’s a job I’d quite like: telling people why and how they need to pull themselves together. I listen to Radio Four online and my favourite programme is Open Book, hosted by Mariella Frostrup, in which she interviews famous authors about their latest novels. That’s another job, I wouldn’t mind having – either the interviewing or the being a famous author.
4. One of the things I miss about South Africa is the greasy toasted sandwiches made with plastic cheese and watery slices of tomato that you buy at garages on the highway.
5. I am a Charlotte married to a Thomas. My great-grandmother was a Charlotte married to a Thomas.
6. The older I get, the angrier I become. I am angry about entrenched privilege, about sexism, about fundamentalism, about the patriarchy, about blindly instituted religions, about men who hate to hear women speak. I suspect that my time as an activist is yet to come.
7. I self-medicate with books and chocolate. I don’t see that as a bad thing.
If you are tempted, consider yourself tagged. I tag my new friend, Diane.