This is the workout that my daily life provides:
1) Wrestling a toddler into a snowsuit in the morning. Wrestling him into it when I fetch him from kindergarten. Wrestling him out of it at home. Wrestling him back into it when it’s time to take a sister to ballet. Wrestling him out of it when we get home again. Wrestling him into it when it’s time to fetch the other sister from her playdate. Wrestling him out of it at home. (By this time I’m ready to slash the snowsuit. But I don’t.) Good for overall fitness.
2) Scraping ice off the Familiewagon with a credit card while the family shiver inside. Good for biceps.
3) Carrying the groceries the 200-odd metres from where we park the car to the kitchen. Excellent weight-bearing exercise.
4) Running up and down two flights of stairs all day long. Tones legs; cardiovascular.
5) Walking to and from kindergarten, walking to and from extramural activities. Overall fitness.
6) Pram-pushing. Tones arms.
7) Carrying loads of laundry up two flights of stairs. Tones arms; cardiovascular.
(8) Bending to sweep food crumbs into dust-pan. Tones backs of legs.
(9) Carrying toddler. Weight-bearing exercise.
(10) Surfing blogs. Finger agility. Overall toning of funny bone.
Do I really need the gym?